The New Monastery In Evansville
In 1897 one of the sisters in Omaha, NE had a relative in Evansville, who in their will, left some land to the sisters which became the place of the Monastery in Evansville, Indiana. This is how the Monastery got its beginnings in Evansville.
The address of the property donated was 509 S. Kentucky Ave. At that time it was in the country surrounded by corn fields. From the beginning the sisters raised cows and chickens for their own milk and eggs. Each day they led the cows out into the fields to pasture. In the beginning they had no electricity or plumbing.
The records show that the original building, which still exists, cost $38,000. Even though they had part of the money from bequests, they were left with a large debt. Often beginnings are difficult and they had their share of hardships. They did not even have furniture, but managed with boxes for tables and chairs.